Dragon Eggs or Devil Fruits

Saturday, December 28, 2013



 

 Yesterday I posted on facebook my WIP (work in progress) photo of a pair of small red/black dragon egg earrings, inspired by my love for Daenerys Targaryen from Song of Fire and Ice. 


 As you all know I really am an avid fan and a lover of the Mother of Dragons. I've seen a lot of GoT accesories online but I can never purchase them because of my lack of a credit card. So I figured, why not make them myself? 
This is actually one of the reasons why I went into cold porcelain, to make myself little dragon eggs ^_^ 

Anyway, I started off with the red dragon (Drogon if you must.) and I was pretty happy with how it turned out. It's small, cute and the finger prints makes it look more weathered out and organic. But I have to admit crafting something that small plus putting on tiny scales smaller than 1/4 of my pink finger nail was tough.  

So I decided to make the green eggs after the red ones were done and drying on my pink flower tray (the one I always use for my photos)
So I tried to make the green eggs larger, at least 2 - 2 1/2 times bigger than the red eggs. I thought it would be easier but boy was I wrong. 

Due to the nature of cold porcelain, the egg base keeps getting disfigured because the clay isn't stiff enough to hold up the weight of the figure. So I had to constantly reshape the egg while trying to dry it via fan so that it will keep its egg shape. That cost me a great deal of time. But finally It started to hold (a little) and I started applying the little scales. I don't know if it was the batch I had or because the figure was bigger and heavier, but the shape still kept on screwing up. The scales eventually, kinda, flattened out. I tried to salvage it by using the blunt edge of the x-acto knife and reshaping the clay, but to no avail. I couldn't fully salvage my green eggs. As you can see in the photos below.

next were the cream colored eggs. This time I went smaller than the green but bigger than the red ones. I still had a problem with the shape but it was easier to solve since it wasn't as large as the previous batch. The scales went in perfectly for me and over all I'm pretty happy with the 3rd batch of eggs. 

I dusted all the eggs with eyeshadow, mainly because I like the shimmer. I think I'm going to invest on one of those cheap knock off palettes just for my craft. Some people use chalk or pastels but I think eye shadows just has a certain sheen to them. 

I'm still contemplating on glazing them or not. 

Anyway, I have to admit that my little eggs look like fruits and pine cones :( And having Luffy's straw hat in the photo makes it seem like they're also devil fruits. ^_^ Oh yeah, I tried to make the mugiwara but i couldn't get the right color of yellow so it ended up looking tan-ish.


 





I'm thinking of disposing my failed eggs unless someone wants to get them off my back ;) I can fashion it into a necklace and make it a giveaway prize. But only if people are interested. Let me know okay?

xoxo
Lara Krystle Novales
a.k.a. Khaleesi-Chan

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Leave a comment on this box and I will do my best to get back to you as soon as I can :P

- Lara

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *